Sunday 14 February 2016

Go Outside!



No seriously, rain or shine no time to whine! There are so many benefits to going outside, a good dose of nature can alleviate symptoms of seasonal affective disorder. And vegetation throughout forests is also a good source of alpha-pinene, which is a bronchodilator. Being away from where you usually keep yourself busy can also help clear your mind and reorganize your thoughts. So while it may feel like you "don't have time" maybe going outside for an hour is just what you need to use your time more efficiently the rest of the day. 

My good friend Dave gave me a call this morning to go for a hike. I was still bed, and at the time it was tempting to stay inside and keep warm and dry. I had all these excuses in my head, its raining, my calves are sore, I'm hungry etc. But I made the right decision and jumped out of bed and made a quick breakfast and got out the door within 30 minutes. Within 20 minutes of being outside we had starting making our way up the local trails and all that effort was suddenly so worth it!

See at the time it was tempting to stay inside and settle for the immediate gratification of sinking back into my recently changed bed-sheets. But I made the sacrifice of short term gain for a little 'pain' and like the adage, its always worth giving up the former for the latter. Sometimes we just need a little discipline to feel the way we want or to achieve the results we desire. This was obviously an easy thing to do compared to some of the other challenges we face everyday. But sometimes its the little things that count. 

No comments:

Post a Comment